Name:
Location: Des Moines, IA, United States

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Top 10 Holiday Movies

 I have wanted to do this list for awhile now and early December seems like the best time for such a thing.   I love Christmas, always have, it's the one time of year where it becomes easy to believe in magic.   In doing this list I opted to do some of the entries as film series.   This is mainly so the number 1 spot would not be a whole list unto itself.   So without further adieu....

#10 Star Wars Christmas Special
I've never seen it.   I know it's supposed to be one of the worst films ever made.   I may have put it here to be ironic...  but come on Christmas and Star Wars are the two of the top 10 things that ever existed how could combining them be bad?

#9 He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special
I imagine this came about as an idea to remind parents to buy their kids He-Man action figures for Christmas...   It worked!    The story is bizarre involving intergalactic travel, He-Man spending Christmas with his long lost sister, and Skeletor finding the holiday spirit and turning good for a little while.   I admit that were it not for nostalgia this would probably not make the list.

#8 A Christmas Story
 For every kid that really wanted that one special gift and tried everything to make sure he got it.   This film is misanthropic and yet strangely heartwarming at the same time.   If nothing else this makes the list for being so darn easy to quote.

#7 The Santa Clause 1 + 2
Not including the third one which was just painful to watch but these two are an interesting take on Santa Claus.   I imagine that as a law student I would find some additional humor in some of the situations portrayed in the film since it is about someone getting "lawyered" in to being Santa.   Note to self, make a contracts hypo out of this.

#6  Santa Claus: The Movie
In the 80s films didn't need original names.   I think I love this one so much because my parents love this one and I remember watching it with them when I was little.   It also pokes fun at the modernization of Christmas and, as somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to holidays, I can appreciate that.

#5 Prep and Landing Specials
Starting the top 5 with the most modern one on the list.  While I don't usually like modern attempts to make a "Christmas Classic" this series about a group of black-ops elves that get houses ready for Santa is just fun.   From the holiday themed code names to the Elf who has to "rev up the engines" there is plenty of stuff to enjoy here.

#4 Nightmare Before Christmas
A movie that combines my two favorite holidays and does so in the most darkly humorous way imaginable.   The mix of Tim Burton and Disney produced something that shouldn't work but does work on every level. 

#3  It's a Wonderful Life
Put down your torches and pitchforks I have a reason for not putting this higher.   While this movie is a timeless classic it's not the kind of movie that instantly appeals to all ages and I think that is something a holiday movie needs to do.   Still, there is a reason this has been referenced so often in other films and I think it's because the idea that one person can make such a difference touches and inspires each of us.

#2  The Muppet Christmas Carol
If you know me you probably know I love the Muppets and this is one of their better films.   It's also the best of the "novelty" adaptations of the Dickensian classic.   If Christmas comes and goes and I don't see this one I feel kind of sad.

#1 Rankin Bass Christmas Specials
As I said in the introduction this could be a whole list unto itself.   Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Year Without a Santa Claus, and all of the classic hand-drawn or stop-motion animation specials have survived for a reason...   I do not include in this list the modern attempts to capitalize on these classics; those should probably be retconned out of existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home