Name:
Location: Des Moines, IA, United States

Thursday, December 27, 2012

 My Life in 2012 - Part 1


So I know I said my next installment would wrap up the culture of 2012 but...  I lied.   That will come later.   For now I present my own personal reflections on my life in 2012.

The year 2012, for me at least, is really two different stories.   I think my time in NH and my time in Iowa really do seem like different stories each with a different cast of character and a different overarching life lesson.

The year started with the NH primary.   This was the first one that I just wasn't excited about.  I mean I like Mitt Romney and I think it's clear that out of everyone running he is the only one remotely qualified to lead a nation but... I think that was part of the problem.   Anyway perhaps the fact that the primary seems worth mentioning shows how uneventful the first few months of the year were.

As spring came around so too did my acceptance letters.   I remember when the first one arrived I was so overjoyed and a little lightheaded.   I immediately became convinced that it was where I was destined to go...  I guess I am entitled to be wrong once or twice over the centuries.   My moment of glory was, if not short lived, soon overshadowed by the arrival of my nephew who, despite his poor timing, I have grown quite fond of.   Perhaps it was unwise to form a new attachment so soon before I was to leave but what can I say?

In May I recieved an early birthday gift, a single perfect day, where I could do all the things I love doing including a trip to the IMAX 3D for the Avengers.   This experience was really special and was in no way dimished by the amazing things that are still to come.

Eventually the day I had been waiting for arrived.   Despite the best efforts of a certain national airline to delay me and ruin my plans I arrived roughly on time and no worse for wear.   Unpacking was a chore but it helped to fill the time between my arrival and the beginning of orientation.   In those first days I didn't really know anyone and in truth I had some moments of doubt about being in a new place so far from home.

Thus ends the tale of Adam Hanson.   Seriously that's the end of my story or at least the end of a major part of it.   My first day of law school orientation changes the narrative in such a profound way that it essentially becomes a new story with it's own cast of characters.   I will also say that it is shaping up to be a story worth telling and I will tell it next time... here on my blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home